Position Title: Director of Education
Reporting to: Director of Programming
The Sheldon is an equal opportunity employer. People of Color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LBGTQIA+ community and veterans are encouraged to apply.
About the Sheldon
The Sheldon is a nonprofit organization which provides concerts by the world’s greatest artists in its historic Sheldon Concert Hall, quality visual art exhibits in its adjacent Art Galleries and important education programs that change the lives of thousands of children in the St. Louis community and beyond. The Sheldon hosts over 350 events per year and welcomes over 100,000 visitors.
Built in 1912 as the Ethical Society of St. Louis, The Sheldon consists of a 700-seat concert hall, a 300-seat ballroom, a 500-seat banquet room and a 7,000 square foot art gallery. With a committed board, The Sheldon has positioned itself as a financially stable artistic gem in the heart of St. Louis’ Grand Center Arts District.
The Sheldon seeks a dynamic and creative individual to be the Director of Education. The Director will oversee and manage all The Sheldon’s Education programs including educational shows, ensemble programs, residencies, community partnerships and workshops.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Education supervises a wide range of educational programs. They are responsible for the delivery and overall success of each program. The Director provides supervision and works closely with management on progress and performance. They must have a strategic mindset, a musical ear, ability to build curriculum, be able to lead and develop their teachers and programs. The goal is to ensure every program will be delivered successfully and add the highest possible value to the organization.
- Schedule all education shows and ensure they maintain the Sheldon’s high standard for excellence.
- Supervise orders from schools and home schools for education events including all shows and programs.
- Supervise correspondence with schools including curriculum, payment, parking, and etiquette information.
- Send out teacher survey forms for feedback on programs.
- Administer and assess testing to track impact of Sheldon Education Programs on students attending programs.
- Update teacher handbooks as needed.
- Correspond with musicians for added or cancelled shows.
- Manage and support the STEAM Program Coordinator.
- Oversee North County Big Band program and the All-Star Chorus Program.
- Maintain relationships with SLPS, Des Lee school districts and other educational partners.
- Be the driving force in identifying and creating new educational shows and programs.
- Maintain ongoing relationships with Cardinals Care, Missouri History Museum, COCA and others.
- Identify and build new community partners for programs.
- Oversee the Sheldon’s program, Music For Lifelong Achievement (MFLA): identify schools in need, inventory donations, track success of donation and work with marketing on promotion.
- Oversee all aspects of the budget from creation, maintaining, and reporting.
- Maintain Education report and update as needed.
- Supervise support staff.
- Assist marketing with creating and updating brochures, pamphlets, posters, web site and fliers to help promote Sheldon Education Programs.
- Work with the development team on reporting and funding opportunities
The successful candidate will have an artistic point of view of their own but will also be curious and adaptive to the changing needs of institution and the community. They will be comfortable speaking in public on behalf of The Sheldon and will be a dynamic representative for the organization.
Terms of Employment
Salaried position, 35-hour work week plus frequent nights and weekends. Competitive salary, benefits package includes health insurance, retirement match and vacation.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no telephone inquiries.
The Sheldon Concert Hall and Art Galleries relies on its Facilities Maintenance & Custodial Staff Members to keep the historic building working and looking its best. The Facilities Assistant is a key member of the team and reports directly to the Building Operations Manager. This is a part-time position with variable hours including the expectation of availability on most weekends.
Specific Event Setup Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Building Operations Manager/Events Operation Manager to insure the Setup of tables, chairs, removal and installation of dance floor and stages to meet function specifications.
- Properly clean meeting and event spaces prior to rental department setups.
- Weekend shifts are required when cleaning is needed between events or deadlines need to be met.
- Sanitizing spaces and providing PPE items for Staff and Guests.
Other Responsibilities as assigned:
- Weekly cleaning of all restrooms; daily cleaning as needed depending on events.
- Daily monitoring of exterior spaces including landscaping, sidewalks, stairs, etc.
- Daily cleaning of concert hall/ballrooms/galleries following events to ensure all debris from previous evening has been removed from these spaces and all areas are clutter free, clean and ready for tours with potential clients.
- Washing of windows.
- Regular vacuuming of offices / cleaning of carpet as needed.
- Mopping (wet, dry & auto scrubbing) of main stage, Green Room and other hard floors that get disinfected a minimum of 3 times a week.
- Additional needs associated with general upkeep of facilities and grounds as needed.
- Ensure that the physical appearance and general cleanliness of The Sheldon’s interior and exterior grounds look exceptional each day.
- Display a willingness and flexibility to perform additional tasks not specified in this description depending on daily priorities, and/or as needed by the Galleries, Operations, Events and Facilities Staff.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to work on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Not adverse to loud noise.
- Ability to climb and work from a ladder or personnel lift.
- Ability to lift 80 lbs.
- Aid other departments & Staff Members as needed.
- Available to work nights and weekends
- This is an hourly part-time position with a pay rate beginning at $15 per hour
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Mr. Michael Murphy, Building Operations Manager. No phone calls please.